This year has been anything but smooth. To cap it all off and wrap it all up is a Friday the 13th in December. “A Nightmare Before Christmas” if you will. The fear and superstition around Friday the 13th has a few different origins. One being from the biblical view, with the Last Supper being on a Thursday with 13 people in attendance. With a betrayal and crucifixion on the Friday. The other is from the middle ages. A time when the Knights Templars were tortured by King Philip IV of France. And is said to have happened on a Friday the 13th, for their wealth.
There are also many different instances of bad or bad luck happening on Friday the 13th; a cyclone that killed more than 300,000 people in Bangladesh in November 1970. The German bombing of Buckingham Palace in September 1940. Finally the crash of the Costa Concordia cruise ship off the coast of Italy. Which killed 30 people in January 2012. These are just a few recorded misfortunes that have happened on this day throughout history. It could just be coincidence, or only come to light because the day already holds such appeal and superstition to have been recorded.
Ways To Beat The Bad Luck
The following is different self care and superstition tips to beat the bad luck this holiday season.
- Watch the most appropriate movie; A Nightmare Before Christmas!!
- Clean. Use this day to get out all the things you no longer use and enjoy, start fresh and feel better for the luckier days ahead!
- Sage – after tidying up or cleaning your space try some sage cleansing to beat the superstition and bring good luck and health into your space on this unlucky day
- Allow yourself to procrastinate. Take this time to sit with some soup or hot drink and enjoy just being there, no risk (maybe just a lukewarm drink?) no fuss, no reason to worry.
- Enjoy your black cat best friend if you have one, buy them a new toy, spend some time with them, throw them in your friends and families paths for a little fun!
- Watch the second best movie for the day; Friday the 13th!
If you’re really worried and need some things to beat the superstition and bad luck try these:
- Add any of these six good luck, and good health herbs to your tea, coffee, or foods; Basil, Lavender, Rosemary, Mint, Spearmint, or Chamomile.
- Take a bath with Epsom salts and the intent to cleanse any bad luck away, try lighting a green candle for good luck and have some cinnamon in a hot drink while you relax in the tub.
- Use a lucky charm: whether it is something you already own, something given to you, or something cultural like a cats eye gem, laughing Buddha, maneki-neko cat, or pysanky, anything you consider lucky and believe in is enough to bring you luck on this unlucky day.
- Lastly: Avoid the unlucky! Don’t wander under any ladders, carry catnip and treats to appease any unhappy black cats looking to cross your path, secure your mirrors and enjoy the rain without an umbrella!
Happy Nightmare Before Christmas and good luck!